Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cakes and Parties, Part 4 - Finale!

This is the finale to all of our celebrations.

Two weeks after the twins birthday came my Mom's birthday.  This did not require a big party, but it did require a delicious cake.  I decided to make a homemade ice cream cake and since her birthday is near Valentine's Day, I needed to make it in the shape of a heart.  Her favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate chip.
Therefore, I got a package of mint creme Oreos and pulsed them into crumbs in the food processor.  I added some melted butter to make them stick together and pressed them into the bottom of the heart shaped cake pan.  (The cake pan was lined with greased parchment to make removal easier.)  I then filled the cake pan with softened mint chocolate chip ice cream and put it in the freezer overnight to harden and set really well. 

The next day I inverted it onto a platter and arranged parchment pieces under the edges for the next steps and to keep the platter clean.  I bought a can of cool whip frosting and quickly frosted the entire cake and then put it back in the freezer to set - about an hour.  

During that hour, I made homemade ganache for the topping.  I poured the ganache (which is warm) over the entire cake and quickly put it back in the freezer to set.  After it was set, I used the remaining ganache to decorate and drizzle over the top.  

This cake was so good and although it took time to set, it really was pretty easy.  My mom has a picture of a slice of it, but I don't.  Maybe someday I'll get it to put up on here! 






Finally, my annual egg shaped Easter cake!  I always use Martha Stewart's Coconut Almond Cake Recipe.
This year I decided to try my hand at the trendy rosettes in aqua buttercream.  I personally think it turned out gorgeous!





And that, my friends, is the conclusion to my cakes and parties segment!  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment